After we receive your complete application, if you meet all requirements and there is a seat in the program, we will send an acceptance letter and a "Student Information for CIC" form describing program details and costs to attach to your study permit application.
1) If our letter requests a tuition deposit, it is important to pay that by the date requested. If you do not, you risk losing your seat in the program.
2) Apply for your study permit as soon as possible. Application forms and all the details for applying for your permit can be found in the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website. The processing time can vary depending on the country and individual circumstances. Note: It is against the law in Canada for anyone other than certified immigration consultants to give immigration advice. ACC has a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant on staff who can answer any study permit, work permit and immigrant questions.
If your study permit is approved, please send us a copy of the letter authorizing your study permit.
If your study permit is denied, please email us as soon as possible to discuss options.
Our letter of acceptance will specify a deadline for your study permit. If you have not received an answer from IRCC by that date, please contact us to discuss options. Whether we can "save" your seat will depend on a number of factors, including whether there is a waiting list for the program.
3) In about mid-July each year, ACC will register students who can confirm study permit approval. We will send you information about this at that time. You do not "choose" courses in the first year of your program, so we register all students in the same courses. The only exception would be if the Chair/Dean could offer you credit for previous education. See our FAQ on this topic.
4) Make travel arrangements to arrive by the last week of August. Classes start in the first week of September, but there will be required orientation in the last week of August. (In 2017, you should arrive by Sunday, August 27 at the latest, as orientation begins on Monday, August 28.) See both of these links for required orientation for your program: Xplore ACC and International Orientation.
5) Make arrangements for a place to live in Brandon. For more information on housing, visit the housing page on this website.
6) If your study permit is valid for less than 6 months after arrival in Manitoba, you will need to purchase private health insurance valid until you can extend your study permit and receive Manitoba Health. We cannot confirm your registration without prrof of this insurance. For more inforamtion about health insurance see our Costs page.
7) Bring your original foreign documents (transcripts and English language test results) to Canada and show them to our Admissions/Registration staff when you arrive.
If you were attending an institution in Canada, be sure to bring the most up to date original, official transcript for our files. This transcript would be the "final" transcript from that institution, NOT an "interim" or "in progress" transcript.
Assiniboine cannot register you for classes or provide an enrollment letter until we confirm your original documents.
8) Pay your tuition fees. When we register you, you will receive log-in information for your ACC computer account and the MyACC information portal. When you log in to MyACC, you will see the exact fees. Your first term fees must be paid after you register for classes and before classes start. (You may pay your fees when you arrive in Brandon.)
NOTE: Please contact us at email@example.com if for some reason you will not attend Assiniboine Community College, or if you are unsure whether you can arrive by the last week of August.
When you Arrive
We require international students arrive in Brandon or Dauphin by the final week of August. During that week, we host "Xplore ACC" for all students. At Xplore ACC, you can confirm your registration, obtain a schedule, pay your fees, get a student card and computer account, tour the college and meet college staff and students in your program. In addition, there will be another orientation session just for international students. Attending Xplore ACC before the first day of college will make your first days of college much less stressful.
Note: Classes begin on the first Tuesday in September. The college is closed on the Saturday, Sunday and Monday prior to that (as it is a Canadian holiday weekend called "Labour Day"). All students must be in class on the first day of college; if you do not attend your first day of college, we reserve the right to cancel your seat and offer it to someone on the waiting list (if there is one).
If you absolutely cannot arrive in time for Xplore ACC, contact Assiniboine International as early as possible (email firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss. Our programs have waiting lists and we reserve the right to offer your seat to someone on that waiting list if you do not come to Xplore ACC.
Books and Supplies
All students must purchase all required textbooks and supplies. An estimated cost will be on this document. Textbooks are expensive in Canada, so you will need to plan for this cost. You buy textbooks only when you need them; most programs will need some new books every two months. If you do not have textbooks, you will have a lot of difficulty with your courses and may not pass your courses.
Students cannot share textbooks. Instructors will not photocopy textbook materials; it is illegal in Canada to photocopy more than 10% of a textbook. If you can find the correct textbook at a lower cost, you can purchase it elsewhere; however, be sure you are buying the correct textbook, including the correct edition. Note also that many textbooks include a PIN to use an online resource, so used textbooks often will not be adequate.
Before you start at Assiniboine Community College complete the checklist to be sure you are prepared.
- I have satisfied all the college admission requirements by the deadline date.
- I have an updated passport to cover the length of the college program.
- I have received my study permit and sent a copy to email@example.com .
- I have booked a flight or other transportation to Brandon and will arrive for Xplore ACC.
- I have found a place to live. I can pay or have paid the damage deposit and first month’s rent.
- I have all original transcript (both my home country and Canadian) and English language test documents.
- I have paid my first term tuition or can pay as soon as I arrive.
- I have my books/supplies or can pay for them as soon as I arrive.
- I have transportation to college each day.
- If my study permit is valid for less than 6 months from my arrival in Manitoba, I have purchased private health insurance.
When you arrive in Manitoba, you are welcome to email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Around The College
Assiniboine expecting another year of strong enrolmentRead Post
A Taste of Change: Bold steps lead to big rewardsRead Post
Assiniboine accepting nominations for annual alumni awardsRead Post
Assiniboine Cougars volleyball teams gear up for pre-seasonRead Post
Assiniboine helping to clear a path to education and jobsRead Post
Assiniboine helps BRHC Foundation raise nearly $14KRead Post
Assiniboine students to build first net-zero energy home in DauphinRead Post
Assiniboine unveils priorities for Parkland Campus, announces permanent nursing programRead Post
Cougars Weekend Re-Cap Oct. 9Read Post
Doors Open Brandon - MICAView Details
Graduation numbers continue to growRead Post
Xplore ACCView Details