Costs | Assiniboine Community College

Fees for international students are different than those for domestic students.  Do not use the fees on the program pages, as those are for domestic students only. 

Estimated Fees for New International Students 2018-19


If you have questions related to fees, please email and state which program(s) you are asking about.

Unfortunately, no scholarships, bursaries, or sponsorships are available for international students to study at Assiniboine Community College. To receive a study permit, you will need to show that you have sufficient resources to pay your tuition and pay for living expenses for one year.

Many students consider working while studying. However, we strongly encourage you allow at least one month in your college program so you understand the workload before making decisions about working.  Most college program schedules will be full days (8:30 to 4:30) Monday to Friday, plus study and homework time.  Some college programs will also have evening or weekend commitments. 

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will allow a study permit holder  to work  for a maximum of 20 hours a week, if the student maintains full-time student status. 

Living Costs

IRCC requires a single student to have adequate funds for a twelve-month period plus the cost of tuition (see chart) to be eligible for a study permit to come to Canada. The tuition figure used will be the cost of first year tuition (not including textbooks). This is a realistic estimate of the amount needed to live while in Canada.

A typical monthly budget for a single student is:

  • Rent and utilities: $800 to $1000
  • Food: $250 to $350
  • Transportation: $30 to $300 (depending on city, and whether you use a car)
  • Miscellaneous expenses: $100
  • Furniture: Variable
  • Recreation: Variable

Students coming from most countries will also need to purchase clothing suitable for Manitoba winters. Insulated jackets/coats, sweaters or fleece, mittens, hats and boots will be required. Budget $300 to $500 if you are buying everything new.


Students with a study permit valid for at least 6 months after arrival in Manitoba must apply for Manitoba Health (MHSC), free public health insurance which covers primary and emergency care.  See here for more information.  ACC staff will provide the documents necessary for your application.

IF your study permit is NOT valid for at least 6 months after arrival in Manitoba, you must purchase private health insurance and show proof of insurance to ACC staff before you can register in classes.  You can then apply for MHSC if you receive a study permit extension of at least 6 months.

After a student has received MHSC, they should register for Student VIP, additional insurance for services not covered by MHSC (examples: dental, vision, prescription drugs).  The premium for a single student is automatically added to your tuition cost.  If you have eligible family members living in Manitoba with you, you can pay an extra fee for their coverage on your plan.  See here for more information.

It is law to have a driver's license and insurance in order to use a vehicle.  We also recommend tenants’ insurance for your belongings. Look under Insurance in the Yellow Pages to find an insurance broker that can help you with your insurance needs.

Several "second-hand" stores in Brandon sell good quality used furniture and clothing for much less than the new cost.