FAQs | Assiniboine Community College

Q: If my TOEFL or IELTS score is not high enough, can I apply for an English language course and, when my English reaches the required level, be accepted into another program? 

A: We do not have any English Language (EAL) courses for international students but we have partner English schools. See the bottom of our English language proficiency document for a list of those schools. If you apply to an ACC program with proof of registration at one of the partner schools, we can provide a conditional letter of acceptance. The condition would be to complete the partner school’s program with a result that meets our requirement. 

Q: Does ACC offer degree programs or university transfer programs? 

A: Most of our college programs are one year certificates or two year diplomas with secondary school admission requirements. Two programs (Accounting & Finance and Sustainable Food Systems) are post-graduate programs with university degree or college diploma admission requirements; we call these “advanced diplomas”. Many programs have articulation agreements with some universities, so our graduates can receive credit towards a university degree. Where these agreements exist, they are listed on the program page of our website, under “Careers & Connections”. 

Q: Can international students take any ACC program?

A: No. See the list of Available Programs; click on the program name and you will see the webpages for that program. But do not use the costs on the program’s webpage as those are for Canadian students. Use Costs from the international pages of the website. 

Q: Can I apply online?

A: No, but we encourage you to complete the international application form on-line, print and sign it, then scan the form and attach it to an email. Also scan your documents and attach those to that email. We can accept scanned documents for the admissions process, and will receive a letter of acceptance if you meet all requirements and there are seats in the program. However, you must bring original documents (both in original language and notarized English translations) to Canada when you arrive, and show them to our Admissions/Registration office, before you will be registered in classes. 

Q: How long does an international student have to wait to be accepted into a program at ACC? 

A: We begin the acceptance process in approximately October of each year. Once we have received your application, application fee, and all your documents it takes 3-5 business days to process an official letter of acceptance. NOTE: Bring official original documents to Canada when you arrive, and show them to our Admissions/Registration office, in order to be registered in classes. 

Q: Are credits from other educational institutions transferable to ACC? 

A: We may grant credit for study at an equivalent or higher level from other institutions. However, to verify that the courses are equivalent, we need to evaluate your transcripts as well as course outlines from the institutions you attended. You need to apply with the $150 fee and then provide original transcripts and course outlines, officially translated into English. Include a letter asking the program Chair to evaluate your courses for credit. 

Q: Must I have my transcripts translated into English? 

A: Yes, because we need to verify that you have attained the qualifications, and the courses you took in your program of studies, we must have the transcripts translated into English. 

Q: Does ACC provide student housing? 

A: No. You will need to find a place to live. See the Housing portion of our website for suggestions and resources. Also see the Orientation section of the website and download our International Orientation handbook. 

Q: Are there activities for international students? 

A: We have an active Students’ Association, which plans activities for all students, and we encourage international students to take part in these activities. There is an international representative on the Students' Association. Assiniboine International, our Athletics Director, and Aboriginal Services staff also coordinate events to which all students are welcomed. 

Q: Will I receive health insurance? 

A: Yes. Complete a Manitoba Health (MHSC) form when you arrive in Manitoba; attach a copy of your study permit and the enrollment letter we provide after you register for classes. MHSC is the insurance all Manitoba residents have; there is no fee. International students are required to have it and must enroll as soon as they arrive. See the MHSC website for more information. Some international students will also be eligible for Student VIP insurance through the Students’ Association, for services not covered by MHSC. 

Q: Where will I go if I have difficulty with my courses? 

A: We encourage all students to first ask course instructors for assistance. Beyond that, the program student success advisor can assist with any questions about your program. A peer tutor may be available for assistance with the content of courses. Learning Commons staff can help with skills like note-taking, studying, essay writing, and more. 

Q: Does ACC have co-op programs, and can I take part in this as an international student? 

A: Most of our programs have a practical component for all students in the program. Check the list of courses for your program. This can include either an unpaid work experience placement or practicum, or a co-op component (paid work experience placement) that is compulsory for your diploma or certificate. 

Q: My goal is to immigrate to Canada. Is it easy to get Permanent Resident status once I get my diploma? 

A: College education can be a first step to immigrating to Canada, and the Canadian and Manitoba governments have established some programs to make it easier to do this. The Post-Graduation Work Permit allows graduates to work for up to three years (depending on your length of study) in a field related to their career. Many graduates also apply for the Manitoba Provincial Nominee program; if the province nominates you, this can assist your federal (Canadian) application for Permanent Residence. 

However, we emphasize that there are no guarantees that graduates can find employment in the time allowed after completion of studies, or that the Province or Manitoba or Canada Immigration will approve each person's application. For more details, visit the Provincial Nominee website and the Canada Immigration Website. 

Canadian law does not allow anyone to give immigration advice unless they are a certified immigration professional. ACC has a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant on staff who can answer any study permit, work permit and immigrant questions you might have. Contact Anna Simonyan at 204.725.8700 ext. 6160 or email international@assiniboine.net for more details.