Dear Parents and Sponsors:
We care deeply about students’ safety, health, and well-being.
As we face a rapidly changing public health crisis worldwide, we want you to know the proactive steps we have taken so far, and what to expect in the weeks to come.
Our decisions have been consistent with public health advice, the Province’s recommendations for educational institutions, and to support our provincial health care system. We do not make decisions such as these lightly, and we recognize that the current environment presents feelings of uncertainty to our college community. This global crisis is forcing each of us to make sacrifices and changes.
What has Assiniboine done so far?
- Suspended all face-to-face instruction
- Cancelled student travel both inside and outside of Manitoba to college-sponsored events and activities
- Supported instructors to move to remote teaching, where classes are continuing
- Supported programs and courses to expedite completion, where possible
- Developed plans for student services to be offered remotely
- Encouraged many employees to work from home, including instructors
- Supported Assiniboine students who were staying in the BU residence to find new housing or to move back home
- Reached out to students with sponsors to coordinate contingency plans
- Cancelled all college-hosted events through until April 30 and all external gym bookings
- Launched an online application for programs starting this fall.
All current students are working directly with their instructors and their program officials to take the next steps required for their coursework, as well as practicum placements and co-ops.
All current programs and courses will finish on time, or sooner. We are not extending the winter term or any current classes past the established end date. Students can access required documentation, including statements of completion or transcripts, online.
We will be making a decision on June graduation ceremonies prior to May 1, 2020, and will communicate that information to graduating students directly via their student email accounts and on our website.
We know that for those students who are impacted by government or public health guidelines for travel or self-isolation, this has been an additional stress. Advising for students continues through the Student Success Advisors. For international students, Assiniboine International is working to help resolve individual situations and provide guidance.
Advice on supporting your student to complete their studies:
There are things you can do to support your student to complete their studies and end strong.
Understand that your student is not on a “break”; they may need:
- A quiet place and some time to study, complete assignments, and communicate with instructors or classmates
- Access to technology in the home, or at a safe place provided for by a sponsor, such as a Band Office
- Encouragement to stay focused for just a little longer to complete and wrap up their course requirements
- Extra support and patience while they are completing their studies over the next few weeks
- Reminding to check official college communication through their myACC email account.
College support for students is described on our Keep Learning page.
On behalf of the college and larger community, thank you for trust in Assiniboine Community College, and your support of students in this difficult time.
Getting through this crisis must be a community-wide effort. Thank you for your contribution to a stronger future, together.
Finally, please continue to check our covid-19 specific webpages, which are being updated continually with new information. If you have questions not addressed on our website, please email email@example.com.