purple wash banner

International Students

We understand you may have questions as a current or future international student. We have answered a range of frequently asked questions for both current and future international students related to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. If you require further information, please email the International office team at international@assiniboine.net, and they will endeavour to respond to your email promptly.

Campuses: Student Access

  • Please see the most recent information regarding access to Assiniboine’s Victoria Avenue East campus on the COVID-19 Updates page.

COVID-19 Readiness Plan

Quarantine Checklist

Quarantine Plan Resources

Arrival to Canada and Quarantine

For students outside of Canada now:

Effective July 5, 2001 (with some changes starting August 9; see below):

Will I need to quarantine after I arrive in Canada?

It depends on a) whether you are “fully vaccinated”; and b) the decision of the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer you meet when you arrive in Canada.

All travelers will be required to disclose COVID-19 vaccination information, including whether they received a COVID-19 vaccine, the brand name or any other information that identifies the vaccine that was administered, the dates on which the vaccine was administered, and the doses received.

  • See this link for information about what is considered “fully vaccinated”.
  • Provide proof of your vaccination in English or French (or a certified translation).
  • Submit all required COVID-19 information electronically using ArriveCAN prior to travel to Canada, have a paper or digital copy of proof of vaccination, and have a suitable quarantine plan.
  • The CBSA officer will check that you meet the pre-entry and on-arrival testing requirements (pre-departure PCR and take arrival test) and whether you are asymptomatic.

Note: All travelers, whether “fully vaccinated” or not, must have a specific plan for a 14-day quarantine, as it is possible the CBSA officer will require quarantine.

If you believe you are fully vaccinated, use this link. Follow the “fully vaccinated traveler exemption checklist”. Click on all colored links and read information carefully.

Also see Assiniboine’s “Quarantine Checklist” PDF document, for general information and advice in case you will need to quarantine.

Travellers exempted from quarantine are still required to:

  • wear a mask when they are in public, and
  • maintain a list of the names and contact information of persons they are in close contact with and the locations visited during the 14 days after entry to Canada, and
  • follow any other public health measures of the province or territory they are in.
To enter Canada, what is considered “fully vaccinated”?

See this link. Click on all colored links and read information carefully.

I am not “fully vaccinated”. What must I do?

If travelling by air, follow the “flying checklist” on this page.

If travelling by road, follow the “driving checklist” on this page.

Open all colored links and read information carefully.

Also see Assiniboine’s “Quarantine Checklist” PDF document, for general information and advice for your required quarantine planning.

I have heard that I must stay for 3 nights in a “quarantine hotel” when I first arrive in Canada. Is this true?

This will depend on your date of arrival in Canada.

Arrival before August 9: Yes, 3 nights in a quarantine hotel will be required. See the “flying checklist” on this page.

Arrival on August 9 or later: The quarantine hotel will not be required. See this page.

Note: All travellers, for any arrival date, must have a specific plan for a 14 day quarantine, as it is possible the border agent will require quarantine. Also see Assiniboine’s “Quarantine Checklist” PDF document, for general information and advice in case you will need to quarantine.

I have heard that I must have a COVID-19 test after arrival in Canada, and again on the 8th day after arrival. Is this true?

This will depend on your date of arrival.

Arrival before August 9:

  • Fully vaccinated: Day 1 (day of arrival) test will be required. Day 8 test will not be required.
  • Not fully vaccinated: Day 1 (day of arrival) and Day 8 test will be required.
  • See this link and use the checklist for your situation.

Arrival on August 9 or later:

  • The Government of Canada will use a system of random selection for post-arrival testing. Therefore, only some travellers will be required to complete a Day 1 COVID-19 molecular test and will receive this information at the airport of entry to Canada.
  • See this link.
I have heard that travellers to Canada must have a negative COVID-19 test before arriving in Canada. Is this true?

Yes, this is true. All people, whether vaccinated or not, who wish to travel to Canada must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test result, taken within 72 hours before travel to Canada. See this link.

Note for students travelling from India: Until at least August 21, you cannot fly to Canada directly from India. Therefore, you would need to fly indirectly, through a “third” country. This means you would need to complete the COVID-19 test in the third country; you will need to enter that third country legally and may need to remain in that that third country while waiting for those test results—before continuing to Canada.

What are the responsibilities of me as a student upon arrival into Canada?

All international students are responsible to have adequate financial resources to support their quarantine plans. This is required even if you request the “fully vaccinated” exemption, as the final decision is made by the CBSA officer at the border, based on the information you provide when you arrive in Canada.

International students must also be prepared to quarantine for 14 days in case they are symptomatic and/or do not meet the requirements for the fully vaccinated exemptions. Upon arrival, you must be able to demonstrate a quarantine plan and the financial means to support 14-days of quarantine in Canada, if required. Failure to do so may result in fines of up to $5,000 (Canadian) under the Contraventions Act.

International students must ensure that they have prepared themselves using accurate information attained from reliable sources from the Government of Canada, including the website links in these FAQs.

If I refuse to comply with quarantine measures, what will happen?

If a student is believed to be non-compliant with quarantine requirements or any other requirement of the Emergency Orders, the appropriate enforcement authorities may be contacted, including the police. This ensures that measures can be taken to mitigate potential health risk as quickly as possible.

Students found in non-compliance with the emergency orders may be subject to a fine of $5,000 under the Contraventions Act.

What if I test positive while in quarantine?

Students who test positive while in quarantine must remain in isolation for 14 days from the date the test sample was taken and must follow the direction of the public health authorities who provided the test.

To prepare for these circumstances, students are required to demonstrate before departing for Canada that they have the financial means to support an extended stay in a quarantine facility in case isolation is required.

If I test positive on arrival in Canada, will I stay at a designated quarantine facility?

Accommodation at a designated quarantine facility is only for exceptional circumstances for those with no other options. International students are responsible for ensuring that they have adequate financial resources to support their quarantine plans. International students cannot expect to receive free lodging and medical care. No medical care is available at designated quarantine facilities, so it is critical that you buy health insurance for your arrival in Canada.

You should disregard all messaging on social media platforms that tell you to cancel your quarantine booking because it is possible to quarantine for free at designated quarantine facilities. This information is false and misleading.

Are there any special instructions for students traveling from India?

The Government of Canada has suspended flights from India until August 21, 2021.

During this period, passengers who travel to Canada from India via an indirect route will need to obtain a pre-departure negative COVID-19 molecular test result from a third country before continuing their journey to Canada. Travelers who have previously tested positive for COVID-19 must provide proof of a positive COVID-19 molecular test conducted between 14 and 90 days prior to departure, instead of a negative COVID-19 molecular test. This proof must be obtained in a third country before the continuation of the journey to Canada. You might need to seek entry and stay in a third country for at least 14 days.

Keep in mind:

  • certain countries do not allow entry or transit from passengers arriving from India or from passengers who have previously tested positive to COVID-19
  • COVID-19 testing for passengers in transit might not be available in all international airports or third countries
  • if you test positive during transit, you may be quarantined or sent back to your point of departure

Carefully consider your itinerary, transit options and entry requirements for third countries.

Where do I find Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) information about travel to Canada?

Please find the most up-to-date IRCC information about travel restrictions here.

For students in Canada, but outside of Manitoba now:

Effective June 12, 2021

Do I need to quarantine/self-isolate after I arrive in Manitoba?

It will depend on whether you have been “fully vaccinated”, or not. If fully vaccinated: no need to self-isolate upon arrival in Manitoba. If not fully vaccinated: required to self-isolate for a minimum of 14 days upon arrival in Manitoba. This includes students who already completed a quarantine after arrival in Canada; if you stopped in another Canadian province, you will need to self-isolate again for 14 days after arrival in Manitoba.

Children under the age of 12 who are travelling with one or more persons over 12 years of age who are all fully vaccinated against COVID-19 do not need to self-isolate if they are not displaying any symptoms of COVID-19. See this link.

Also see Assiniboine’s “Quarantine Checklist” PDF document, for general information and advice in case you will need to quarantine.

It will also depend on whether you have symptoms of COVID-19 or are awaiting COVID-19 test results. Any individual with COVID-19 symptoms or awaiting COVID-19 test results, should NOT travel to Manitoba, and should follow direction of the public health authorities in your city/town.

If you develop COVID-19 symptoms anytime after arrival in Manitoba, you are required to self-isolate for a minimum of 14 days.

For travel to Manitoba, what is considered “fully vaccinated”?

It depends on the vaccine and the date of your last dose. See this link.

I was vaccinated in another province / territory - how can I get proof of this for the Government of Manitoba?

See this link.

Questions about COVID-19 Vaccines

Can international students get a vaccine in Manitoba?

Yes. There is no cost to be vaccinated. Remember to book a vaccine appointment for a date after quarantine is finished. Temporary residents must provide proof of date of entry to Manitoba, as well as documentation to support the reason and anticipated length of their stay, for example, your study permit. Also bring some form of government-issued photo ID, such as a passport, in order to get the vaccine. Visit the manitoba.ca website.

If I received a vaccine in my home country that is not approved in Canada, can I get vaccinated again?

You should contact a local public health office to speak with a healthcare professional. For a list of public health offices, visit: www.gov.mb.ca/health/publichealth/offices

If I received only one dose of a vaccine in my home country, can I get my second dose in Canada?

Students who have received their first dose in their home country are eligible to receive a second dose in Manitoba. You should contact a local public health office to have your first dose recorded. For a list of public health offices, visit: www.gov.mb.ca/health/publichealth/offices. Healthcare professionals will advise you as to your vaccination schedule here in Manitoba. You will need proof of vaccination from their public health office or equivalent in their home country.

Do I need to be vaccinated to be on campus?

No, you do not need to be vaccinated to attend classes on campus, but we strongly encourage everyone to get vaccinated with two doses if they are able.

I don’t have a Manitoba Health card or guard.me policy number. Can I book a vaccine appointment?

Yes you can! But don’t book online. Book your appointment by calling 1-844-626-8222. You may also request an interpreter in your first language.

When you call, booking staff may ask for “your health card”, but don’t worry about this. The staff are trained to ask this because most people will have a health card; the staff may not be familiar with international student insurance. Be sure to bring some photo ID to your appointments, such as a Manitoba driver’s license or a passport.

For any questions about booking your appointment, please call the number listed above.

I don’t have a “Manitoba Health” card. How can I get a vaccine card (proof of vaccination)?

International students in Manitoba are not eligible for Manitoba Health cards, so they cannot follow the same procedure as Manitobans to receive proof that they have been fully vaccinated. That is, they are not eligible to receive a Manitoba Immunization Card with the QR code that can be read by the Manitoba Immunization Verifier Application.

However, international students without a Manitoba Health Card and without a PHIN (Personal Health Information Number) can still obtain proof of their COVID-19 vaccination by requesting a print copy of their Manitoba Immunization Record here at https://forms.gov.mb.ca/covid-immunization-record-request

On this request form under the “Reason for Request”, students must check the box indicating that they want a paper copy of the immunization record mailed to their home address.

Using this online form, students can also add information about vaccines they received outside of Manitoba.

I have heard that the college has a contest for students who get vaccinated. What is that?

Yes, the contest is called “Armed for Fall”. If you are registered in a program in Fall 2021, and after you get your first dose of a vaccine, you can enter the contest! Grand prize is up to $4,000 towards your tuition (a refund if you have already paid), but there are many other prizes! Visit assiniboine.net/armedforfall for more information and to enter the contest.

Other Common Questions

I need assistance with academic planning. Who should I speak to?

Contact your School office to talk to your Student Success Advisor (SSA) or program chair. The SSA and program chairs work closely with Assiniboine International to support students. Please find appropriate contact details under the FAQs on our Student Resources page.

Who do I talk to about admissions/application/program availability?

Please email the International office team at international@assiniboine.net.

Who do I talk to about course registration or payment questions?

Please contact the Registrar’s Office via the following methods: Call: 204.725.8701 or toll-free 800.862.6307 ext 8701 Email: admissions@assiniboine.net

Can I work full-time off-campus when my in-person classes are finished?

No, you are still a student for the full dates listed in your MyACC. You are only permitted to work a maximum of 20 hours per week. The only two exceptions are: a) If you have an on-campus job, you can work more than 20 hours per week in total (on- and off-campus) b) If you have paid work in a college practicum or co-op, for credit, authorized in advance by the instructor, and if you have a “co-op work permit”.

I’m finished my program, when can I get my letter of completion?

The original end date of the program applies. After the end date of all courses as shown in MyACC has passed and when all grades are showing in MyACC, you may request the completion letter through your MyACC account only.

Please note there is a fee for this. Completion letters are usually processed within 3-5 business days after received and will be mailed to the address noted in MyACC.