Assiniboine Community College is proud to partner with Conestoga College to deliver this program under the federal government's Skilled Trades Awareness Readiness (STAR) program.
This tuition-free, pre-apprenticeship Welding program aims to encourage key groups including, but not limited to, women, Indigenous peoples, newcomers to Canada, persons with disabilities, and those currently underemployed, to explore a career in the skilled trades.
This 33-week program includes:
- a 15-week preparatory course component that includes academic upgrading, employment strategies, computer applications, math for trades and introductory welding courses, followed by
- a 10-week Level 1 Welding Apprenticeship program, and finally
- an 8-week paid work placement in the students' field of study
Anyone interested in this program must attend a free information session as part of their application.
The deadline to register for an information session has now passed.
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- 16 years of age or over
- Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Proficient in English language; visit assiniboine.net/elp for details
English is the language of instruction at Assiniboine. All applicants educated outside of Canada or in a country not on the test exempt list are expected to meet the English language proficiency requirement. See assiniboine.net/elp for more information.
To be considered for this program, you must do the following:
STEP 1: Attend a program information session
Anyone interested in this program must attend a free information session as part of their application.The deadline to register for an information has now passed.
STEP 2: ATTEND AN ASSESSMENT SESSION
You must attend an information session before attending an assessment session.
If you decide that you would like to be considered for this pre-apprenticeship program, you will need to attend an assessment session. You will be assessed on English, Mathematics and Mechanical Aptitude. Please be on time! ** Bring a pencil, pen, eraser, calculator and photo ID.
You will be provided with a program application form at the session.
STEP 3: PERSONAL INTERVIEW
After the assessment, selected applicants will be invited to return for a personal interview.
If you are chosen, you will receive either a telephone call or email to advise you of the date and time of your interview. Please ensure you bring the following to your interview:
- Original, official high school and post-secondary transcripts
- Any reference or recommendation letters from employers or instructors
- Current resume
Careers & Connections
Graduates of this program will be trained to work safely in welding environments while being able to:
- interpret and prepare drawings, prints and weld symbols
- set-up welding stations
- perform basic metal fabrication techniques
- perform trade calculations and principles of operation inside welding shop environments
- be proficient in computer applications related to metal fabrication and welding
- complete work in compliance with occupational, health, safety and environmental legislation, as well as within established policies and procedures, codes and regulations, and ethical principles
Students who successfully complete the accredited program with an accumulative average of 70% or better in the trade subjects and level for which the program was accredited, gain employment and register as an apprentice within two years of graduating, will receive credit for Level 1 in-school technical training and 800 hours in the Welder apprenticeship program.
Tools & Supplies
This program is tuition-free and all books, supplies, equipment and tools will be provided to students accepted into the program.
Courses & Costs
The application fee, tuition, books, supplies, personal protective equipment and tools for the program are free to students accepted into the program.
Program Information Session
The deadline to register for an information has now passed.
All information sessions will be held in Room E202/203 at the Len Evans Centre for Trades & Technology at the college's North Hill campus in Brandon.
1035 1st Street North
Brandon MB R7A 2Y1