Do you enjoy working with people and have an appreciation for food? Dietary Aides hold an important role in today’s healthcare food system. Assiniboine’s Dietary Aide course will give you with the skills needed to provide safe and nutritious foods for clients in healthcare facilities. In this 18-week course, you will learn about special diets, safety, sanitation and general food service operations.
This program is designed as self-study, and is delivered fully online, providing flexibility to those learners who are already employed and looking to upgrade their existing skills or transition to a new occupation. Upon completion, you will receive a Document of Achievement.
- Completed Statement of Interest document
- Current certification in WHMIS
- Current Food Handlers Certificate
English is the language of instruction at Assiniboine. All applicants educated outside of Canada or in a country not on the test exempt list are expected to meet the English language proficiency requirement. See assiniboine.net/elp for more information.
Apply online by visiting the Apply to a Program page. Choose “On-Campus and Distance Education programs for domestic students”. Create an account and select Dietary Aide and preferred start date in your program choice.
Careers & Connections
Dietary Aides are important members of the foodservice team in healthcare facilities. Publicly operated hospitals and long-term care homes are primary employers, although Dietary Aides are employed in private healthcare facilities as well.
Tools & Supplies
For this program, you are expected to have access to a computer at home. Internet access to enable remote learning for the theory portions of your programs is required.
Courses & Costs
The Dietary Aide program comprises one 80-hour course (HLTH-0298 Dietary Aide), consisting of the following modules:
- Introduction to Foodservice Concepts
- Introduction to Quantity Cooking
- The Professional Dietary Aide
- Introduction to Nutrition
The course cost is $175.
The Dietary Aide program is available for study through distance education.
- If you are not an active Assiniboine student in the Dietary Aide program, but wish to apply to the program, you may do so by applying online www.assiniboine.net/applynow
- If you have been accepted into the program, you can register and pay for your course online through MyACC - refer to your acceptance email which details the steps to register and pay. Or select your course, complete the Registration Form and email it to email@example.com. Please ensure you include the course number, course name and start date you wish to add (see Courses and Costs tab for the full list of courses and course numbers).
Course are offered the 1st of every month. You have 4 months to complete the course from the start date of the course. The deadline to register is the 20th of the prior month however, you can register at any time - you don’t need to wait for the deadline. For example, for February 1st courses, the deadline to register is January 20th.
Please ensure that you review our academic policies, including policy A20: Registering, Adding and Dropping Courses, which explains the refund policy for distance education courses; and A10: Maintaining Active Student Status, which details how often you need to complete a course to remain active in your program. You have five years to complete a program.