The following are course options available at Assiniboine Community College for Child Care Assistants and Family Child Care Providers to fulfill the 40-hour training requirement.
You may choose any one of the following three courses:
Curriculum Planning 1 (ECED-0053)
Early childhood educators require knowledge and ability to plan and provide activities that meet the child's development skill levels, needs and interests. They require skill in assessing activities and evaluating its potential. In this course, students become familiar with activity planning strategies and planning form used throughout the diploma program curriculum. This course is eligible for a transfer of credit into the Early Childhood Education program with a grade of 66 (C+) or higher. This is one of three available courses at Assiniboine Community College that meets the provincial Early Learning and Child Care Program criteria for the Child Care Assistant classification.
Overview of Early Childhood (ECED-0054)
This course provides an overview of the field of early childhood education. Students are introduced to a variety of early childhood settings directly through five days of practical experience and indirectly through course work. Comparisons are made of routines, schedules, activities and the role of staff within the settings. Influences on early childhood education outside of the setting are identified and described. This course is eligible for a transfer of credit into the Early Childhood Education program with a grade of 66 (C+) or higher. This is one of three available courses at Assiniboine Community College that meets the provincial Early Learning and Child Care Program criteria for the Child Care Assistant classification.
Health Nutrition & Safety 1 (ECED-0055)
This course introduces students to the basic principles and practices of good health promotion, occupational health and illness prevention, and management. This course is eligible for a transfer of credit into the Early Childhood Education program with a grade of 66 (C+) or higher. This is one of three available courses at Assiniboine Community College that meets the provincial Early Learning and Child Care Program criteria for the Child Care Assistant classification.
Course materials are in addition to the tuition fee. Please visit the bookstore website for more information or contact the bookstore directly at 204.725.8700 ext 6788.
- You must obtain a C or 60% in the course in order to fulfill the training requirement. In order to receive a transfer of credit for any of these three courses into Assiniboine's Early Childhood Education program, you must complete with a grade of 66% (C+) or higher. Refer to Policy A7 for more information on transferring credit and the required form.
- You will have a maximum of four months to complete the course work from your start date.
- Once you have your course materials, you are working through the distance manual for your readings, assignments, and instructions.
- Your instructor will contact you by the first day of your course start date through your college student email address.
- If you have not been contacted by your instructor or have questions about the course, please contact the School of Health & Human Services at 1.800.862.6307 ext 6699 or 725.8700 ext 6228 or email@example.com.
- No credential is awarded for the course(s) taken. However, if you need an official transcript to provide proof of the course(s) you have taken and the grade received, you will need to order and pay online for a transcript.
- To search for any of the courses eligible to fulfill the 40-hour training requirement listed under the Overview tab on this webpage, visit our Continuing Studies 'Find a Course' tool. With this tool, you can search for the specific course you're looking for to find details about it.
- When you are ready to register, visit the How to Register webpage for details on how to complete this step by phone, online, or by mailing in a registration form.
You do not need to apply to the college's Early Childhood Education program if you are a child care assistant that requires one 40-hour course for classification.
You must be registered by the 20th of the month prior to the course's start date. For example, courses with an April 1 start date require you to register prior to March 20.
Tools & Supplies
In order to be successful in CCA course offerings at Assiniboine, you will need access to a computer and a reliable internet connection.
Course materials are ordered through the the college's bookstore website or in-person at the Victoria Avenue East campus (Room 400, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday to Friday).
Online at www.assiniboineshop.ca
- Click on Books > Textbooks & Course Materials
- Select Program > All
- Select your Term > Choose term
- Select your Department > This is the first four letters of the course number (e.g. ECED) Select your Course > This is the four digits of the course number (e.g. 0004, 0002, or 0031)
- Select your Section > This information is listed on your registration statement.
- Experiencing difficulties? Call the bookstore directly at 204.725.8700 ext 6788
At the college's Victoria Avenue East campus (Room 400) during regular business hours, which are typically 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday to Friday. Please connect by phone at 800.862.6307 ext 6788 if you are having difficulties with your order.
For this program, you are expected to have access to a computer at home. It should have a webcam, microphone and internet access to enable remote learning for the theory portions of your programs.
Courses & Costs
To see when courses are being offered throughout the year and the costs, click on the schedule below.
Any required course materials are in addition to the tuition fee. Please visit the bookstore website for more information or contact the bookstore at 204.725.8700 ext 6788.
To register for courses, please refer to the Admissions tab.