With your high school diploma and certificate as an Education Assistant, you’ll have the skills you need to start working in the school system.

You will gain both a high school diploma and an Education Assistant certificate. The program is an additional four months after the completion of your compulsory high school credits. You will graduate ready to work in the education field with the practical skills needed to have a rewarding career. Centre for Adult Learning classes begin every September and January. The Education Assistant program intake is in January.

This program has several learning options to meet your needs. The Mature Student High School portion of the program offers traditional classroom instruction with flexible learning options so you can balance work and family commitments; our Centre for Adult Learning in Brandon also offers the additional option of flex learning (independent study). You will have the opportunity to earn dual credits that count towards both high school and college credit, provided you attain the required percentage grade.

Our supportive learning community is accentuated by student mingling areas, study areas, classrooms, computer labs and free wireless Internet. Your designated student success advisor will help you map your education and career goals. You will have regular access to a learning strategist, an Indigenous services officer, elders and tutors to support your success.

Learn the basic skills and concepts needed to start working in the school system. You will be able to work as part of a team in supporting children with diverse needs.


  • Meet the admission requirements for the Mature Student High School diploma program under Adult Learning - Mature Student High School (MSHS).

  • Prior to starting the Education Assistant program applicants must provide:
    • Proof of current certification in cardiopulmonary (CPR) level C
    • Current criminal record vulnerable sector check
    • Current child abuse registry check

English is the language of instruction at Assiniboine. All applicants educated outside of Canada or in a country not on the test exempt list are expected to meet the English language proficiency requirement. See assiniboine.net/elp for more information. 

Criminal Record Check/Abuse Registry Checks

Many agencies where students are placed for practicum experience require students to disclose convictions for any offenses. In some instances, applicants with a criminal record or listed on the Child Abuse Registry may be unable to complete the program. If you fall into one of these categories, please contact the School of Health & Human Services prior to applying.

Careers & Connections

Career Opportunities

Graduates find employment as classroom assistants in primary, middle and senior years schools, direct aides for students with disabilities, social service agency youth workers and private assistants for children requiring extra help.


Graduates of this program are eligible to receive advanced standing in several other programs, including Early Childhood Education at Assiniboine.

This program is offered in partnership with Assiniboine Community College's School of Health and Human Services. Students graduate with a Mature Student High School diploma and a college-level Education Assistant certificate. Graduates may be able to transfer some credits earned in the program to the Early Childhood Education program at Assiniboine. Practicum experiences allow you to connect with potential employers.

Assiniboine has a number of agreements with other colleges, universities and professional organizations, making it possible for students to apply credit taken at Assiniboine to programs at other institutions. For up-to-date information on agreements, visit the Articulation Agreements page.

Tools & Supplies

Textbooks, supplies and uniforms for all of our programs and courses may be purchased at the Assiniboine Bookstore at the Victoria Avenue East campus. Booklists are available from your school office 30 days prior to the start date of your program. 

2023-24 Lists:

Program Checklist:

2022-23 Lists:


  • High School textbooks will be provided to you by the Centre for Adult Learning.
  • The Education Assistant program requires you to purchase your own textbooks. Visit the Education Assistant program page to learn more.


  • Mature Student High School - tools and supplies for your high school labs will be provided to you by the Centre for Adult Learning. You will, however, be responsible for providing your own binders, pens, paper, and other materials that will assist you in the classroom.
  • The Education Assistant program requires you to purchase your own supplies. Visit the Education Assistant program page to learn more.

Technology Requirements

Students in this program are expected to have a computer at home with internet access that meets the technical needs outlined by the program. Refer to assiniboine.net/tech for detailed information.

Courses & Costs


At the Centre for Adult Learning - Brandon, fees charged per one credit course are $20.90 for materials and fees, plus $30.10 for Students’ Association fees

Estimated Program Costs
  Credits Tuition Course fees Students' Association fees (Inc Health Premium) Estimated textbooks, tools and supplies
MSHS - Integrated Education Assistant 32 $1,770 $410 $440 $1,170

All fees are estimated and subject to change without notice.


Education Assistant program fees can be found on the program's web page under the Courses & Costs tab. Please refer to this section for the most up to date information. All fees are subject to change without notice. 

There will be additional costs for the required Child Abuse Registry Check, Criminal Record Check, and CPR certification.


To graduate with an Education Assistant certificate, students must successfully complete 30 academic credits and 2 practical credits.

To graduate with a Mature Student High School diploma, students must earn a total of 8 credits, 4 of which must be at the Grade 12 level. Some of these credits will be dual credits earned in the Education Assistant program. Grade 12 English Language Arts and Grade 12 Mathematics are required credits. The dual credits can also apply to a regular high school diploma, which requires the students to complete 30 credits.

Credits earned from previously attended institutions may be applied towards graduation requirements. An official transcript is required to transfer credits.

The minimum passing grade for each course is indicated on the course outline.


The Centre for Adult Learning - Brandon is in session from September to June each year. Intakes are in September and January with core courses of English and Math being offered on a semester system. A student can enter at any of those times.

If you are requiring upgrading, depending on which quarter you enter, you may be able to complete your courses for the next intake at a secondary school (January or September).

Program Details

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply to the Centre for Adult Learning?

Step 1: Make an appointment with our Student Success Advisor. Please contact us at 204.725.8735 extension 7134. They will meet with you and develop a personalized education plan that will address your specific needs and future goals. It would greatly help us if you could bring with you any previous high school transcripts.

Step 2: Part of your personalized plan may mean that you write a computerized placement test called ACCUPLACER. It takes about an hour and a half to complete. The purpose of this test is simply to determine your current reading and math levels so that we can make sure you get into the right courses.

Before the test is taken, we recommend that you get the preparation package which has examples and a key. You can come to our office for a paper copy.

Step 3: Once you feel prepared to write the test, please contact us at 204.725.8735 extension 7134 and set up a time and date.

Step 4: Once you have taken your test you need to make another appointment with the Student Success Advisor to go over your results and do a course plan. You can make the appointment either at the front desk just after you write your test or by calling the number above.

Step 5: In your appointment, the Student Success Advisor will determine from your test scores what courses you need to take, and establish a timetable for you. If you already have some high school credits, we will need to have an original official transcript in order to transfer those credits over.

What is Accuplacer?

Accuplacer is an electronic academic assessment tool that assesses your Math and English skills prior to beginning studies at the Adult Collegiate. The test is a tool to help us determine at what level you should be entering classes.

If you Student Success Advisor determines that you should write the test, appointments are required. There is a preparation package available that we recommend that all students review before writing the test. Please contact us at 204.725.8735 extension 7134 for the preparation package.

If you would like to view the package that you would recieve from us, please review the introduction and the tests for Math and English found above.

What happens if I don't score high enough on the Accuplacer test?

Once we have your test results, the Student Success Advisor will make an appointment with you and work with you to determine what your next steps are.

We emphasize that a personalized education plan is developed individually with each student to address their specific needs and future goals.

Is the Mature Student High School program the same as the regular high-school program when applying to a post-secondary institute?

Yes, both are regarded as equal when applying to colleges and universities.

Can I take courses if I already have my high-school diploma?

Yes. You can take as many courses as you want and the first four credits are tuition-free.

First, you need to contact and meet with the student success advisor and complete an application form. Next, the Advisor will work with you to select courses and complete the registration process.