Assiniboine Community College first opened its doors in February 1961 as the Brandon Vocational Training Centre. Shops and classrooms were located in several buildings throughout the city. The centre was soon renamed to Manitoba Vocational Training Centre and in 1966 students moved into a new building at 1430 Victoria Avenue East.
In December 1969 the centre became Assiniboine Community College when Manitoba’s three technical vocational schools were made community colleges.
When the vocational centre opened in 1961, it had a staff of four and offered two courses to 24 students. By 1966 it had grown to a staff of 24 and offered 11 programs to 300 students.
Today, the college offers more than 40 certificate, diploma, advanced diploma, and apprenticeship programs to over 2,800 full-time students. Numerous off-campus, part-time and evening programs contribute to an annual enrolment of over 11,000.
The college offers practical nursing training at campuses in Brandon, Dauphin and Winnipeg, as well as rural rotating sites throughout the province.
The college’s Centre for Adult Learning - Brandon, located at the college's Victoria Avenue East campus, delivers a Mature Student High School program, English language courses, and upgrading courses. Assiniboine’s Parkland Campus in Dauphin offers several full-time day programs, a Centre for Adult Learning and continuing studies courses.
Assiniboine began to develop a new campus at the former Brandon Mental Health Centre site on the north hill in Brandon. Culinary Arts and Hotel and Restaurant Management programs moved to their new home inside the Manitoba Institute of Culinary Arts with a grand opening in October 2007.
The college continued its relocation with the official opening of the Lens Evans Centre for Trades and Technology in October 2010. The college’s sustainable greenhouse opened in the spring of 2013 and is home to applied research as well as the Horticultural Production and Sustainable Food Systems programs.
Assiniboine's relocation and expansion continues at the North Hill Campus.