Manitoba Institute of Culinary Arts, rm. 117
North Hill Campus
1035, 1st Street North
Dr. Poonam Singh joined the college in 2015 as a researcher and instructor in the Horticultural Production and Sustainable Food Systems programs. She holds a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture, a Bachelor of Education degree, a BC Provincial Instructor diploma, a Masters of Science in Landscaping and Floriculture and a Doctorate degree in Horticulture.
Dr. Singh’s work history includes time spent as a Research Fellow at the Institute of Himalayan Bioresource Technology (India), as an Assistant Professor at the Punjab Agricultural University (India), as a Scientist at the Institute for Sustainable Horticulture, BC, and as an Instructor at the School of Horticulture, Kwantlen Polytechnic University, BC. Her research focuses on sustainable crop production technologies, enrichment of plant germplasm for genetic enhancement, and traditional food systems of indigenous people of Canada.
Dr. Singh’s research supports an active local food movement by providing tools to produce pesticide-free food, and contributes towards enhancement of economic viability and environmental quality of horticultural businesses. Since 1999, she has been working in various applied research projects aimed at improving sustainable agricultural practices in India and Canada.
Areas of interest
- Production Horticulture
- Sustainable Crop Production
- Traditional Food Systems
- Microbial Product Evaluation
- Bio Control
Courses recently taught
AGRC 0258 Growing Media
SCIE 0074 Horticulture Science
AGRC 0285 Horticulture Industry
AGRC 0283 Food Safety and Security
AGRC 0286 Nursery and Ornamental Horticulture
AGRC 0276 Growing Media Applications
AGRC 0274 Food Systems Applied Research
AGRC 0284 Food Security and Sustainability
AGRC 0288 The Food Industry
PRAC-0263 Practicum – STFDS
Recent publications / conference presentations
Singh, P, Deng, A., and Hinrichs, S. (2018). Managing western flower thrips by the use of biocontrol agents in conventional and solar greenhouses. Journal of Agrotechnology. (In Press).
Singh, P. (2018, October). Key Note: Advanced crop production systems-a key to sustainable and productive agriculture. Agritex India 2018 Conference and Exhibition, Hyderabad, India.
Singh P, Deng A and Hinrichs, S. (2017, March). Managing western flower thrips by the use of biocontrol agents in conventional and solar greenhouses. 8th World Congress on Agriculture and Horticulture, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Hinrichs, S, Deng, A, Singh, P and Rao, S. (2016, March). Establishing biological pest control systems for managing greenhouse pests. Applied Research Symposium, Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICAN), Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Singh, P., and Kumar A. (2014). Winter Queen- A chrysanthemum variety for garden decoration. The Asian Journal of Horticulture, 6(2), 103-107.
Singh, P., and Chettri, R. (2013). A new propagation method for rapid multiplication of chrysanthemum under in vivo conditions. International Journal of Conservation Science, 4(1), 95-100.
Singh, P, and Wegener, L. (2012, April). Molecular Characterization of Beauveria bassiana, an entomopathogenic fungus from the Soils of British Columbia. Celebration of Research, Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Surrey, BC.
Awards and grants
- Principal Investigator, research project entitled, ‘Onion neck rot disease prevalence studies in Manitoba’. Employment and Social Development Canada. 2019 ($5000)
- Principal Investigator, Canadian Agricultural Partnership Grant, a Federal-Provincial initiative, Govt. of Canada 2018-2023 ($9,50,000).
- Principal Investigator, research project entitled ‘Establishing biological pest management program for nursery crop production’, 2018 ($25000) funded by NSERC, Canada.
- Principal Investigator, project on ‘Establishing a Community Plant Germplasm Conservatory/Seed library’ funded by Agriculture and Agri Food Canada and ACC, 2018 ($15,000).
- Co-Investigator, a project entitled ‘Northern Teaching Lodges: Learning Partnership for Community Development and Mino Bimaadizwin in First Nation Communities’, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, 2016-18 ($2,500,000)
- Principal Investigator, Developing herbarium of traditionally important plants for awareness and educational purposes. Employment and Social Development Canada. 2016 ($5000)
- Principal Investigator, Canada-Manitoba Growing Forward 2- Growing Innovation - Capacity and Knowledge Development Program, a Federal-Provincial initiative, Govt. of Canada 2015-18 ($3,72,000).
- Principal Investigator, Knowledge Dissemination Travel Grant, Assiniboine Community College (ACC) Applied Research Fund ($4500), Manitoba (MB), Canada.
- Principal Investigator, Shastri Partnership Seed Grant project entitled, 'Plant breeding for organic farming systems: A collaborative approach to sustainability' 2014 ($6000) funded by the Shastri Indo Canadian Institute, Canada.
- Co-Investigator, research project entitled 'Initiation of a germplasm bank for selected plants with potential to be new crops for BC agriculture-A pilot project' 2013 ($18800) funded by Investment Agriculture Council of British Columbia, Canada.
- Co-Investigator, research project entitled 'A new biofertilizer using insect frass and chitin Phase I' 2013-14 ($42,365) funded by NSERC, Canada.