If you are not applying to the Practical Nursing program, please visit assiniboine.net/elp to review English language proficiency requirements.
Practical Nursing program English language proficiency requirements
English is the language of instruction and communication at Assiniboine. The Practical Nursing program has specific English language proficiency (ELP) requirements.
Applicants must demonstrate ability in English that will meet the demands of classroom instruction, discussions, and written assignments.
If English is not the applicant's first/primary language, they must provide supporting documentation to show that they meet one of the conditions below. Applicants will not be admitted until this requirement has been met. NOTE: There are no countries considered ELP exempt.
All applicants must meet or exceed the level of English language skills as outlined below.
International Language Testing System (IELTS) (academic version) with minimum scores of:
- Listening: 7.5
- Reading: 6.5
- Writing: 7.0
- Speaking: 7.0
Overall Score: 7.0
Applicants must provide supporting documentation to show they meet one of the conditions below:
- Three years of full-time education in English at an English-speaking secondary (high school) or post-secondary (university or college) level in Canada;
- Graduation from a Manitoba English-speaking high school with at least one Senior 4 Core English with a minimum of 70%;
- Graduation from a Canadian English-speaking high school with at least one Grade 12 English with a minimum of 70%;
- Graduation from an English-speaking Canadian curriculum high school outside of Canada with at least one Grade 12 English with a minimum grade of 70%;
- Successful completion of three years of full-time study in English from a country on the test-exempt list, including Grade 11 or 12 English (not ESL).
Waivers are not permitted for the Practical Nursing program. Waivers may not be permitted if transcripts indicate modified programs. See Policy A17 - Application to College Programs for more information.
Assiniboine Community College reserves the right to request additional documentation, which may include the submission of a standardized test of English and/or an official comprehensive report from a recognized Canadian international credential evaluation service.