International student in a hallway

English Language Proficiency

English is the language of instruction and official communication at Assiniboine. Each program sets its own English language proficiency (ELP) requirements. Please check individual program requirements, as these may differ from the minimum language requirement for admission. All applicants must meet or exceed the level of English language skills as outlined in the program's admission requirements.

Applicants must demonstrate ability in English that will meet the demands of classroom instruction, discussions and written assignments.

If English is not the applicant's first/primary language and they are not from an English test-exempt country, they must provide supporting documentation to show that they meet one of the conditions below. Applicants will not be admitted until this requirement has been met.

Applicants to the Practical Nursing diploma program must meet the program-specific English language proficiency standards. Please refer to

1. Test Options

Below is a list of the tests that may be used to demonstrate English language proficiency that is acceptable at Assiniboine.

ELP Test Requirements by Program

Please note the Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test (CLBPT), held at Westman Immigrant Services in Brandon or WELARC in Winnipeg, is not a test of English language proficiency for college admission. It is a test of English language only for placement in English classes. Applications with only a CLBPT result are incomplete.

Many tests have an expiry date; please ensure your test results have not expired. If your test does not have an expiry date, the test must have been completed within 2 years of your program start at our college.

2. Program options

Below is a list of the pathway programs that may be used to demonstrate English language proficiency that is acceptable at Assiniboine. Unless otherwise stated, you must have completed language pathway program within two years of the program start at our college.

Pathway Partner Requirements by Program

Program and Acceptable Score

Contact Information

Our English as a Second Language (ESL) program

For permanent residents only) classes progress report showing CLB 7-8 range, depending on college program choice

We offer ESL classes

204.725.8744 or 866.726.1117 or

Assiniboine English for Academic Purposes

For international students only.

We off an EAP program

204.725.8700 ext 7019 or 800.862.6307 ext 7019 or

Academic English Program for University and College Entrance (AEPUCE) program — please inquire with us directly

204.945.6151 ext 6303 (Red River College) or (University of Manitoba)

International Language Academy of Canada (ILAC)

Program Pathway Details Here

English School of Canada, UCTP (University/College Transfer Program)

Program Pathway Details Here

Heartland International English School

Program Pathway Details Here

ILSC Education Group University Pathway Program

Program Pathway Details Here

William Academy

Program Pathway Details Here

3. Waiver options

Applicants must provide supporting documentation to show they meet one of the conditions below:

  • Three years of full-time education in English at an English-speaking secondary (high school), including Grade 11 or 12 English (not ESL), or post-secondary (university or college) level in Canada or a country on the test-exempt list;
  • Graduation from an English-speaking Manitoban or Canadian high school with at least one Senior 4 Core English (not ESL) with a minimum of 70% or Grade 12 English (not ESL) with a minimum of 70%;
  • Graduation from an English-speaking Canadian curriculum high school outside of Canada with at least one Grade 12 English (not ESL) with a minimum grade of 70%;

Assiniboine Community College reserves the right to request additional documentation, which may include the submission of a standardized test of English and/or an official comprehensive report from a recognized Canadian international credential evaluation service.

In some instances, students may request a waiver of the English language requirement. An application for a waiver may be made to the Registrar's Office. Not all programs accept a waiver, see program page for more information. Waivers may not be permitted if transcripts indicate modified programs. See Policy A17 - Application to College Programs for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between a Canadian Language Benchmarks Placement Test (CLBPT) and a Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) exit report?

The CLBPT (From Westman Immigrant Services or WELARC in Winnipeg) is used only for placement in English as an Additional Language (EAL) classes. It is not enough information for admission into college or university programs. A CLB exit report is completed after someone has taken EAL classes. It is the document that lists your CLB scores from those classes.