Due to scheduled website maintenance, assiniboine.net will not be available Friday, April 12th from 6:00 PM to 6:30 PM CST. Read more
smiling student

Government Student Aid

Everyone should consider applying for financial aid—chances are you’re eligible for some support. Let us help you navigate the many funding options available for your post-secondary education, including scholarships, bursaries, government student aid, and other funding opportunities.

Register Now

Manitoba Student Aid

Please note that all international students and students in the Mature Student High School program are not eligible to apply for Manitoba Student Aid.

Student loans are available to students through provincial and federal student aid programs. Non-repayable grants and bursaries are also available. Student loans stay interest-free for a period of six months after you complete your schooling. If you are studying full-time, you can apply online. If you are studying part-time or by distance education, you must complete a paper application. If you have not lived in Manitoba for a minimum of 12 months prior to starting school, you must apply for financial aid through your home province.

Starting in 2018-19, the Manitoba Student Aid program changed to put more money in the hands of more students. Changes include new grants for students with dependents, students with permanent disabilities, and Indigenous students, they have simplified the application process. Even if you weren’t eligible for funding before, you may be now.

As a designated institution, students are eligible for government student loans. If eligible, students may receive loans, grants, and/or bursaries from the Federal and Provincial Government Student Aid Program. For the 2022-23 academic year, applications are available in early July for programs starting after August 1 of that year. Student Aid funds are not disbursed until one week prior to classes starting. Students requiring their student loan funds to pay for their tuition must ensure that all documentation is verified by Student Aid. The college can automatically deduct fees from their Government loans to pay for their tuition.

Tip: The Manitoba Student Aid application form is found at manitobastudentaid.ca. It is extremely important to remember your login and password you create for your account. You can track the progress of your student loan, change your personal information, and print the documents you’ll need to complete the application process. Read all correspondence carefully, and send back all documents requested. Your financial aid won’t be processed without them. Your student aid documents will be sent to you at the address you use when you apply. Be sure to keep the Student Aid office informed of address changes.

To assess your eligibility for a student loan, check out the Student Loan Estimator provided by the Government of Canada.

Visit manitobastudentaid.ca to learn more.

Out-of-province student aid

If you are receiving student aid from a province other than Manitoba, you will need to take all forms to the Financial Aid & Award Officer for processing.

Other government or band funding

Financial assistance may be available to students with a disability that is related to a chronic medical condition, physical or learning disability, and mental health issues through agencies such as marketAbilities, Society for Manitobans with Disabilities, or CNIB (Canadian National Institute for the Blind). Please contact these agencies directly to find out more.

Indigenous students are encouraged to contact their local band authority, tribal council, or regional Métis Federation office to discuss sponsorship opportunities. This funding usually consists of tuition and book costs and (in many cases) a living allowance. Typically students must submit acceptance letters from the college with their funding application, so students are encouraged to apply early for college programs.

Tuition Waiver Program

Assiniboine is a post-secondary partner with the Tuition Waiver program, which provides financial assistance to anyone who has ever been in care in the Manitoba child welfare system. For additional information or to apply, please visit futuresforward.ca.

Students who are granted a tuition waiver from Assiniboine are still responsible for costs not associated with tuition. Fees not covered are application fees, non-refundable tuition deposit, course fees, student services fees, SA fees, Health and Dental insurance, parking, books, and supplies.


Do I need a student number to apply for government student aid?

No, you do not need a student number to apply for a government student aid. However, you will be required to provide your student number as a required document if not provided when completing the application.

When should I apply for government student aid?

APPLY EARLY! Applications for government student aid are usually available in June for the next academic year. Student Aid’s academic year is August 1st – July 31st.

How do I know if I am full-time or part-time?

If you are not taking 100% of the courses in your program, please contact the awards office to verify your course load as well as for guidance on full-time or part-time status for student aid purposes.

Do I have to be accepted into a program to apply for a government student aid?

No, you can apply for government student aid even if you have not yet been accepted into a program.

I am taking a program by distance education, is it eligible for government aid?

Distance Education programs may be eligible for part-time student loans only.

When can I request a confirmation of enrolment to notify Student Aid that I am back in school?

Confirmation of Enrolment can not be completed until after your study period start date. If you have applied and been approved for new student aid funds you do not need to complete a confirmation of enrolment form. When your new student aid enrolment is verified by Assiniboine, your previous student loan will revert to interest free and stop payment.

I am auditing a course, is it included in full-time status for government student aid purposes?

No, audited courses are not included when calculating course load for government student aid.

If I get approved to transfer credit to my Assiniboine program, does this impact my government student aid?

Depending on the amount of course credits that you receive credit for, it may impact your student loan. Students must remain in a 60% course load in each term in order to be eligible for a full time student loan. Students who are between 20-59% of a full course load may be eligible for apart-time student loan only.

I don’t want government student aid in second year of my program, what do I need to do?

Once the academic year has started, you will need to complete the Confirmation of Return to School documentation online to notify the government that you are back in school. Assiniboine will complete the confirmation of enrolment once notified by the government.

I have dropped from full-time to part-time, what do I need to do?

Please notify Awards Office (awards@assiniboine.net) informing that your course load has been reduced. This may impact your student loan. Please refer to above question with regards to transfer credits as this may impact course load.

When do I need to repay my government student aid?

Students go into repayment as soon as they are no longer a full-time student. Loan payments begin six months after the last day of full time status.