Comprehensive Health Care Aide students working with a patient

MSHS - Integrated


Gain skills for entry into the health care field.  You’ll graduate with both a high school diploma and a Comprehensive Health Care Aide certificate.  Experience focused one-on-one instructor attention, with a schedule that fits your needs in either our day or evening program.

Gain both a high school diploma and a Comprehensive Health Care Aide certificate. You will graduate ready to work in the health care field with the practical skills needed to have a rewarding career as a Comprehensive Health Care Aide. Mature Student High School day and evening classes begin every September and January. In Brandon, Comprehensive Health Care Aide entry is September and January; in Dauphin, entry is in January. 

This program has several learning options to meet your needs. We offer traditional classroom instruction with options to choose either day or evening programs or flex learning (independent study) for your Mature Student High School portion of the program. You will have the opportunity to earn dual credits that count towards both high school and college credit, provided you attain the required percentage grade.

Our supportive learning community is accentuated by student mingling areas, study areas, classrooms, computer labs and free wireless Internet. Your designated student success advisor will help you map your education and career goals. You will have regular access to a learning strategist, an Indigenous services officer, elders and tutors to support your success. 

Find work in acute and extended care hospitals, personal care homes, private care facilities, mental health settings and home care.


  • Meet the admission requirements for the Mature Student High School diploma program

  • Prior to starting the Comprehensive Health Care Aide program applicants must provide:
    • Current criminal record check
    • Current adult abuse record check
    • Current child abuse record check
    • Proof of current certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation - Health Care Provider (CPR-HCP)

Applicants who are accepted into the program will also be required to provide up-to-date immunizations prior to the start of practicum rotations.

English is the language of instruction at Assiniboine. All applicants educated outside of Canada or in a country not on the test exempt list are expected to meet the English language proficiency requirement. See for more information. 

Many agencies where students are placed for practicum experience require students to disclose convictions for any offenses. In some instances, applicants with a criminal record or listed on the Child Abuse Registry and/or the Adult Abuse Registry may be unable to complete the program. If you fall into one of these categories, please contact the School of Health & Human Services prior to applying. 

Careers & Connections


Graduates find employment in acute and extended care hospitals, personal care homes, private care facilities, mental health settings and home care. 


This program is offered in partnership with Assiniboine's School of Health and Human Services. Students graduate with a Mature Student High School Diploma and a college-level Comprehensive Health Care Aide certificate.

Practicum experiences allow you to connect with potential employers.

Assiniboine has a number of agreements with other colleges, universities and professional organizations, making it possible for students to apply credit taken at Assiniboine to programs at other institutions. For up-to-date information on agreements, visit the Articulation Agreements page.

Tools & Supplies

We focus our personalized services to suit your specific needs. Designated student advisors will help you map your education and career goals. You will have regular access to a learning strategist, Indigenous services officer, elders, tutors, and an accessibility and disability services coordinator to help serve your needs and assist in your success. Educational software is also available to enhance your learning experience.

Our supportive learning community environment is accentuated by student mingling areas, study areas, designated health care aide lab and classroom, computer labs, Interactive Television (ITV) classroom, free wireless internet, a testing centre and lunch programs. You will benefit from the collegiate campus, and have access to other services that Assiniboine has to offer.

High school textbooks will be provided to you by the Adult Collegiate, including any tools and supplies that you may require for your high school labs. You will, however, be responsible for providing your own binders, pens, paper, and other materials that will assist you in the classroom.

The Comprehensive Health Care Aide program requires you to purchase your own textbooks, supplies and uniforms. These are available at the ACC Bookstore, located at Victoria Avenue East campus. Visit the Bookstore’s website to learn more.

At-Home Computing

Programs at Assiniboine have certain technology requirements. Students require access to computer devices at home and may be required to bring these on campus when instructed.

For this program, you are expected to have access to a computer at home. It should have a webcam, microphone and internet access to enable remote learning for the theory portions of your programs.

At-Home Computing Information

Courses & Costs

To graduate with a Comprehensive Health Care Aide certificate, students must successfully complete 27 academic credits and 6 practical credits.

To graduate with a Mature Student High School diploma, students must earn a total of 8 credits, 4 of which must be at the Grade 12 level. Some of these credits will be the dual credits obtained through the CHCA certificate. Grade 12 English Language Arts and Grade 12 Mathematics are required credits. The dual credits can also apply to regular high school diploma, which requires the students to complete 30 credits.

Credits earned from previously attended institutions may be applied towards graduation requirements. An official transcript is required to transfer credits. The minimum passing grade for each course is indicated on the course outline.

At the Adult Collegiate in Brandon, fees charged per one credit course are $20.50 for materials and fees, plus $25.70 for Students’ Association Fees ($46.20 total).

For the Comprehensive Health Care Aide portion of the program, tuition, fees and Students’ Association fees total approximately $2,600. Estimated costs for books and supplies is $900. All fees are estimated and subject to change without notice.

There will be additional costs for the required criminal, child abuse and adult abuse record checks, as well as CPR certification, immunizations and tests.

Fast Facts

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply to Assiniboine's Adult Collegiate?

Step 1: Make an appointment with our Student Success Advisor. Please contact us at 204.725.8735 extension 7134. They will meet with you and develop a personalized education plan that will address your specific needs and future goals. It would greatly help us if you could bring with you any previous high school transcripts.

Step 2: Part of your personalized plan may mean that you write a computerized placement test called ACCUPLACER. It takes about an hour and a half to complete. The purpose of this test is simply to determine your current reading and math levels so that we can make sure you get into the right courses.

Before the test is taken, we recommend that you get the preparation package which has examples and a key. You can come to our office for a paper copy.

Step 3: Once you feel prepared to write the test, please contact us at 204.725.8735 extension 7134 and set up a time and date.

Step 4: Once you have taken your test you need to make another appointment with the Student Success Advisor to go over your results and do a course plan. You can make the appointment either at the front desk just after you write your test or by calling the number above.

Step 5: In your appointment, the Student Success Advisor will determine from your test scores what courses you need to take, and establish a timetable for you. If you already have some high school credits, we will need to have an original official transcript in order to transfer those credits over.

What is CAAT?

CAAT stands for Canadian Adult Achievement Test. The test is a screening tool and is in addition the ACCUPLACER test that you must take to enter the Adult Collegiate. You do require an appointment to write the CAAT test so please contact the Adult Collegiate. You should allow yourself approximately three to four hours to complete the test.

What happens if I don't score high enough on the CAAT?

The Student Success Advisor will help you find a place to upgrade your skills.

Is there an application fee for MSHS?

The college is currently waiving application fees for students applying to enrol in the Mature Student High School (MSHS) program, which it offers at its campuses in Brandon and Dauphin as well as in partnership with communities throughout Manitoba.

How much does tuition cost for the MSHS HCA program?

Tuition to the Mature Student High School program is tuition-free. There is a nominal cost for Students' Association fees and Textbook usage which is $36.20 per credit.

If you are studying in a Mature Student High School integrated program (either Comprehensive Health Care Aid or Education Assistant) tuition fees will apply.

Is there student parking at the Adult Collegiate?
In Brandon:

No. The Collegiate does not have its own parking lot for students. For those who are driving, there are several options within a short walk. Monthly passes may be purchased across the street at The Town Centre. The City of Brandon also has monthly parking available. In addition, there is a city lot one block away for daily parking. Two hour downtown meter parking is available for students and visitors of the Adult Collegiate. Free parking on the street is only a block away. More information on parking is available to students during orientation.

In Dauphin:

Yes, Parkland Campus has parking is available right out front of the building. You'll need to purchase a parking pass from the front desk.

Is the MSHSD the same as the RHS when it comes to post-secondary?

Yes, both are regarded as equal when it comes to applying for colleges and universities.