Next Steps for Accepted International Students
After we receive your completed application, if you meet all requirements and there is a seat in the program, we will send a letter of acceptance and a Student Information form to attach to your study permit application.
If your letter of acceptance says something different than you read below, follow the letter of acceptance. Follow ALL of the requests on your letter of acceptance, and any other mail we send to you.
Please be sure you can read emails on the personal email address you gave on your application. This is not an agent or family member's email address. If you do not read emails on the address on your application, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the correct email address for you.
What to do next
- Apply for your study permit as soon as possible. Application forms and details are in the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website. The processing time can vary depending on the country and individual circumstances. If your study permit is approved, please send us a copy of the letter authorizing your study permit, as soon as you receive it. If your study permit is denied, please send us a copy of that letter to request a refund. Our letter of acceptance will specify a deadline for your study permit. If you have not received an answer from IRCC by that date, please contact us to discuss options. Whether we can "save" your seat will depend on a number of factors, including whether there is a waiting list for the program.
- If our letter of acceptance requests a tuition deposit, pay it by the date requested. If you do not, you risk losing your seat in the program. Please note, the deposit, minus a $150 processing fee, is refunded only if you can prove your study permit application was denied. The study permit denial letter must be received by Assiniboine Community College before the program start date as indicated in the letter of acceptance. Notice to Assiniboine Community College of an official study permit refusal letter is required no later than six (6) weeks after the date of rejection in order to be eligible for a refund. View more information about payment methods here. MyACC is not a payment method for you now; it is available only after we register you in classes (see #9 below).
- If you would like to request credit for previous education (to reduce coursework and possibly fees at Assiniboine), please see our frequently asked questions. Do this as early as possible, as the process can take a number of months and must be completed before the relevant classes start.
- About six weeks before the program start date, Assiniboine will register students who have confirmed study permit approval. We will send you information about this at that time. In most programs, you do not "choose" courses in the first year of your program, so we register all students in the same courses. We will contact you if you can choose any of your courses.
- Make travel arrangements to arrive before New Student Orientation and the first day of your program (see your letter of acceptance). If you do not arrive on the first day and have not contacted us before to discuss, you risk losing your seat in the program.
- Arrange for a place to live. See more about housing options here.
- Plan for additional costs.
- International students in Manitoba are required to have mandatory health insurance. The college arranges this on your behalf. The cost of the insurance premiums will be approximately $918.50 for 12 months of insurance for a single student. The college will invoice you for these premiums and send the funds to the insurance company on your behalf. This cost will be payable before the first day of college. See FAQs here.
- All programs will require some textbooks and supplies, costs not included in tuition and not payable to the college. Some, but not all, will be required in the first week of college. Without these books or supplies, you likely could not pass courses. If you can find any correct textbook at a lower cost, you can purchase it elsewhere; however, be sure you are buying the correct textbook, including the correct edition. Note also that many textbooks include a PIN to use an online resource, so used textbooks often will not help you.
- Be sure to monitor the email address you provided on your original application to us, including your junk and spam folders. This is where we send important communication to you. If your email address changes, please contact us directly at email@example.com along with your name and student number and we will update your email address on file.
- Bring your original hard copy foreign documents (transcripts and English language test results) to Brandon for verification. Assiniboine staff must compare these with scanned application documents. If you were attending an institution in Canada, bring or mail the most up to date original, official transcript for our files. This transcript would be the "final" transcript from that institution, not an "interim" or "in progress" transcript. If you do not provide these documents by the first day of the program, you risk losing your seat in the program. If you have questions about this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org along with your name and student number.
- Pay your tuition fees. When we register you in classes, we will email your log-in information for your college computer account and the MyACC information. When you log in to MyACC, you will see the exact fees.
Refer to our pre-arrival information page. You'll find helpful information about preparing to travel to Canada, finding a place to live, and many practical questions like how to get a driver's license.
During your first few days, you can provide your original documents, confirm your registration, obtain a schedule, pay your fees, get a student card and computer account, tour the college and meet college staff and students in your program. You will learn much more about how to be successful in your program and about supports and facilities for you. And we will have some fun, so you can make more friends at college!
This will make your college experience much less stressful. If you believe you cannot arrive by the first day of your program, contact Assiniboine International as early as possible (email email@example.com) to discuss.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if for some reason you will not attend Assiniboine Community College, or if you are unsure whether you can arrive before the first day. If you do not arrive on the first day of your program and have not contacted us before that day to discuss, we will believe you are not coming and we reserve the right to cancel your seat and offer it to someone on the waiting list.
When you arrive in Manitoba, you are welcome to email email@example.com with questions or see us at the Victoria Avenue East campus in Brandon.